EXPERIENCE SLEEPING IN A JUNGLE
Our two-day jungle trek is made for people who are curious to go further into the rainforest of Gunung Leuser National Park in North Sumatra and who would like to experience sleeping for one night in our camp under the leaf roof of the impressive jungle giants. In these two days and one night of rainforest discovery with your jungle guide, you will meet orangutans, white gibbons, up to eight different monkey species, turtles, peacocks, monitor lizards, and a lot more amazing wildlife!”Savor a delightful, candlelit, traditional home-cooked dinner and immerse yourself in an evening filled with captivating conversations, lighthearted chats, and entertaining games amidst the enchanting sounds of the forest.” A second day in North Sumatra’s rainforest is awaiting you!
Around 9 a.m., after breakfast, your jungle guide will pick you up at your guesthouse. Follow him along the river and uphill through some rubber plantations to the entrance of Gunung Leuser National Park. Here you will have a great chance of spotting Bukit Lawang’s semiwild orangutans, as well as the lovely Thomas Leaf Monkeys and Long Tail Macaques.
As day tours and 2-day treks are quite famous, your jungle guide will choose a route off the beaten track. Meet up to eight different monkey species, gibbons, turtles, and the melodious peacock on your way through the densely wooded mountains. Stop for a refreshing tropical fruit snack and enjoy the incredible jungle vibes around you.
Then hike up to an unforgettable viewpoint from where you can overlook the whole valley of the Bahorok River and the mountains of Gunung Leuser National Park. Restore your energy with a yummy lunch of nasi goreng and continue trekking. Around 4 p.m., you will arrive at one of our campsites close to the water.
Relax and refresh yourself after the impressions of your first day in the crystal-clear Bahorok River or under the waterfall. Have some tea or coffee and cookies while watching orangutans build their nests before nightfall, if you are lucky. The day will fade with a delicious homemade dinner and chatting or playing funny games with your guides and trekking buddies around candles and a bonfire. Fall asleep surrounded by the sounds of the magical forest.
Wake up in the morning together with the wildlife of Gunung Leuser National Park. After you enjoy a beautifully decorated breakfast, continue your jungle trek to see more inhabitants of the Indonesian rainforest.
Now you can choose between walking back to Bukit Lawang or rafting down the river on big rubber tires that are knotted as a boat and promise a lot of fun! With our traditional “jungle taxi,” you will arrive in Bukit Lawang between noon and 2 pm, where your guide will accompany you back to your guesthouse.
Do some more activities in the afternoon, or relax in your hammock and let the impressions of the last two days sink in.
- See orangutans in the wild at close range.
- Enjoy stunning views over the mountains of Gunung Leuser National Park.
- Meet up to six species of monkeys and many more wildlife.
- Swim in a crystal-clear rainforest river or take a shower under breathtaking waterfalls.
- Escape the city and sleep under the forest sky for one unforgettable night. Listen to the enchanting sounds of the nocturnal forest and immerse yourself in nature’s symphony.
- All permits (National Park and Indonesian Guide Association, HPI)
- Certified English-speaking guide and assistant guide
- Meals: tropical fruit snack, 2x lunch (nasi goreng), tea and coffee at the camp site, homemade dinner and breakfast served on wooden dishes, water for the second day (boiled water from the rainforest river).
- Camping equipment: tent, mattress, sleeping bag, mosquito net
- Personal Expenses